Saturday, November 5, 2011

Food Eating Contest

Today I witness the pride of my college duke it out for fame and glory. No, not a battle of wits, but rather a food eating contest. I can't think of something that is more college like than a contest where the goal is to eat a ton of food as fast as you can. Those guys (and two girls) will go on to do great things for this country.

For today's epic battle, teams of four had to consume four pizzas and two garbage plates between the group members. Whoever consumed this obscene amount of food first won a free T-Shirt and a 5 dollar coupon to the local pizza place. More importantly, the winning team got to get their picture taken so that it could be forever demonstrated who at our college could shove massive amounts of food down their throats fastest. I'm sure all of their moms will want a copy as well. They must be so proud.

Unfortunately, I was not able to able to partake in food gorging with my being a vegetarian and lacking other group members willing to go up a pant size for the greater good. It was alright though because I got to witness the event, which I think was far more entertaining.

All of the teams started out with the same enthusiasm and apparent optimism that they could win. It was clear early on though that some teams just didn't have what it takes. For instance, there was a team which was using a knife and fork in order to consume their garbage plates. This would have been fine in any normal setting. However under the circumstances, it put them at a real disadvantage. Take for instance the innovative team that decided if would be a good idea to pick up the mac and cheese with their bear hands, mush it into a compact ball, and then shove it into their mouth. Pure genius. Not only was this more efficient, but they also had to consume less because half of the cheese stuck to their hands. It was truly something special to witness.

In actuality this display actually made me quite nauseous. I found however that I couldn't look away from them. Even more, they kept making loud grunting noises. I can only conclude based on this that because of the pressure of competition they defaulted back to a more primitive and animalistic form of themselves. That, or they were stupid college boys. You know, either or.

On my ipod today: "Tickle Me Pink" by Johnny Flynn. I only found this song a few days ago, but I am completely obssessed. I foresee myself overplaying this song over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment