Monday, October 10, 2011

Shopping

I'll be the first to admit that I don't particularly enjoy shopping. Wait-let me clarify that. I don't particularly enjoy shopping with other people. I'm more of a go in, get my crap, pay and leave, kind of shopper. Unfortunately from my experience, this is actually atypical behavior. Most other people treat shopping as some sort of enjoyable excursion like going to the park or a concert. "I need new pants! I know, I'll drag a few of my friends around the mall for several hours, shopping at several stores, and then walk out with absolutely nothing at all! It will be so much fun!"

For myself, I treat shopping much like I treat going to the dentist. It's annoying, but you have to do it eventually. "I need new pants! Well maybe I can hold out a few more months with the few pairs I have. Or years..."

The main problem I find when I am shopping with other people is how incredibly picky most people are. It's like we're on some sort of game show where the host keeps teasing you. "Will she buy the cute red shirt? It has that one weird ruffle on the bottom that she doesn't like. But who can beat that price?! Stay tuned to find out!"

I find it best to simply agree with whatever the person says, since that's all they want from you anyways.
"Do you think it's too big?"
"Yeah, it's definitely too big on you. Don't get it."
"Well actually now that I look at it again it doesn't look that big."
"Yeah now that I'm looking at it again, I think you're right. You should so get it."
"But the color is weird, right?"
"Totally. What a weird color. Don't get it."

It amazes me some of the strange things people can find wrong with outfits. I once went shopping with one of my friends who told me that she didn't want to get this one shirt because "it made her neck look long." I didn't even know that was something that you should be worried about when you're looking for clothes. It makes me wonder how many shirts I've bought over the years that actually have been making me look like a giraffe. I shudder to think about it.

On my ipod today: "Hammers and Strings" by Jack's Mannequin. Such a beautiful song...

2 comments:

  1. Once I went shopping with this girl in Old Navy and she turned down every single piece of clothing I picked out for her! Talk about picky!

    Also, omg, Jack's Mannequin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wellllll in that girls defense you probably have horrible taste in clothing. Just saying. And I love Jack's Mannequin!

    ReplyDelete