Thursday, November 3, 2011

Taking Notes

I've learned one thing over the many years I have had taking notes. I am either really paying attention to class, or am I really not. There is no in between for me. This is best reflected in my notes by the percentage of doodling that takes over my notebook for each particular day. I figured this would best be shown in picture form so here a picture of  my notes:


 The top notes are from my English class, the bottom are from my Child Psych Class.

As you can see, I don't just doodle random things. I put a lot of effort into my not paying attention to lecture.  I don't just draw hearts, I have to shade them and make sure they fully take my attention away from the professor. If you're going to doodle, you've got to do it right. Please note the stick figures in the top picture. I enjoy making my stick figures do things like roundhouse kick each other, climb up the lines on the page, sit on the lines of the page, ect. I mean stick figures don't have a lot going for them, so why not at least make them do something?

There is probably one other thing you've noticed about my notes. I have guy handwriting. I'm not ashamed of many things in my life, but my handwriting is one of them. I'm not sure when it was in elementary school where I missed the lesson on how to write like a girl, but somewhere along the line I got chicken scratches instead of bubble letters. Maybe I was putting too much effort into my doodling and not paying enough attention to the teacher. Suddenly it all makes sense...

The worst part about doodling is that once I start, I can't stop. I have no self-control. I can't just make one heart, I need to fill all of the extra space in with hearts. It gets to be a problem when I hear the professor saying something important, and I know I should start taking notes again, but I just can't. The page hasn't been consumed by hearts yet! There is still so much white space! 

My doodling of hearts is not limited to taking notes however. At my old job we used to have to label all of our products with the date that they will expire. It meant I was wring on things a lot since we usually went through product so fast. At the time I was working with all guys so I figured the store needed a feminine touch. I started to add hearts onto everything. Since some of the guys were extra testosterone induced macho male types, naturally this upset them. 

Unfortunately for them, this only caused me to add more hearts around the store. It was just too funny to watch them pick up something like a block of cheese to have them go, "Ugh another freaking heart! What is going on in this store!?" At this point I would put on a really sad pathetic face and say something like, "You don't like them?" perhaps adding a slight lip quiver. This put them in a real bind because on the one hand, they didn't want to upset the only girl. Guys will do just about anything to avoid having a girl cry. On the other hand, in order to make me not upset, he would have to admit he didn't mind the hearts. The slightly more evil part in me found it very entertaining to watch the guys inner struggle with what to do. They always caved and said they liked the hearts of course.

On my ipod today: "I Want to Hold Your Hand" by the Beatles. The Beatles are that staple music source that you can always depend on. Always great without fail.


No comments:

Post a Comment