Monday, October 31, 2011

Job Interviews

You know the slight issues I have with public speaking? Well these issues also carry over into job interviews. I think it's the whole idea of being judged by everything I say, do, wear, move, breath ect. It's like going on a date. You spend a certain amount of time judging each other, deciding whether or not you want to spend time with each other again in the future. I feel like all of my flaws are suddenly completely exposed. I deal with this by trying to display my positive features, but this never works out well. "Did you know I have a vast knowledge about the FoodNetwork channel. I can't cook, but I can tell you how to! I can also hum the tune of Mario almost completely accurately. Why wouldn't you want to go on another date with me?!"

Job interviews are much the same. I feel like every question has some sort of hidden contextual meaning behind it, so even the simplest of questions involve me over thinking the response. For example, I had a job interview today for a local pizza place. I think he liked me despite a few weird exchanges that occurred between us that were mostly my fault (fine, completely my fault).

"So why don't you work at Dunkin Donuts anymore?"
"Well the hours weren't that great. I mean I'm willing to any hours, but their hours were bad. I had to get up really early and that doesn't really work well for a college campus because everyone is up late on the weekends, not that I'm out late on the weekends, but most people are and they can be very loud so it was hard for me to get sleep and I would end up being tired all of the time. Not because I was out late because I don't really stay out late, but because everyone else was up and loud and I could never sleep."
"Right..."

"So would you say that you can keep yourself occupied during times when it's not as busy?"
"Absolutely, I had to do that all of the time at Dunkin. I mean a lot of the time I was there in the morning so it was really busy then and so I'm used to the pressure of having to deal with a lot of people at one time, but every once in a while it would slow down and I would have to find something else to do. Most of the time in these cases I would clean because I worked with mainly guys. Not that guys can't be clean, but the guys I worked with weren't very clean. Not that I had a problem with this, I always get along with my coworkers, I just had to clean more than them because they weren't very good at it. It wasn't a problem though, I love cleaning! I was glad they were bad at it, because it meant I could clean more! Err does that answer your question?"

"I see that you are a junior. Would you be willing to work next year also?"
"Oh yes! Actually that was what I was hoping for, a job that I could have both this year and next. I mean if you're okay with that, but if you only need someone for this year I would understand. But I am willing to work both years if you want that. Either way, it's fine really. I mean I would prefer to work both years because that would be very convenient, but really, I am fine either way."

"I expect after school, this job to be your second priority. Would that be a problem?"
"Not at all! I really don't do much outside of school anyways!"
Great, you made yourself sound like an anti-social freak. Definitely not what I was going for.

I think I could have answered these questions a bit more normally if I was able to relax a bit more. But since when did I ever do anything normally?

On my ipod today: "Monster" by Lady Gaga. It's Halloween and therefore I must have a song by the very singer who treats everyday like it's Halloween. I'm a proud little monster!

No comments:

Post a Comment