Saturday, October 8, 2011

DMV

I had to go to the DMV today to make sure they updated my license in time for when I turn 21 next month. Anyone who has ever been to the DMV before knows that is always one of the best experiences of your day because the DMV has always been known for their extremely friendly service, efficiency, and organization!

Well of course anyone who has actually ever been to a DMV knows this is never the case, and of course my experience was no different. I smiled politely to the grouchy middle aged women who shouted "NEXT" to me even though I had already started walking up to the counter. She shoved a bunch of papers in my face and told me to sign in different areas, which I did. Then she told me to "Stand over there!" which I did because everyone knows not to mess with a middle aged women who can shout like a man. They are on the same par of intimidation as a seriously pissed off cat. In other words, you just do what they say.

So I stood where she told me, and then she shouted "SMILE" and immediately I smiled as if someone was holding a gun to my head. It was the hugest, most strained smile I have ever made. It wasn't even a voluntary action. Something in my brain noted that I was being yelled at my body simply reacted in a way to correct the situation. Next thing I know, she's showing me a screen with my (horrible) picture on it and asking me if it was good. Did you know that they retake your picture for your new license when you turn 21? I didn't, but I sure know now!

Now anyone who knows me, knows that I can't say no. To anything or anyone. I have this automatic "yes" that simply pops out no matter what my true feelings are. Needless to say, I now get to enjoy years on end of a terrible drivers licenses picture! Most people look forward to when their new license comes in the mail, but I'm just praying the picture is small enough that you can't really tell how awkward a smile I have.

After this the lady shoved a piece of paper with a number on it and told me they would be with me shortly. I was really confused because I thought I was done with everything, but of course I wasn't going to ask her what she meant. I prefer my head nonbitten off. It's worked quite well for me so far. I mean, what if she was menopausal? My chances of survival after asking her a question would be even less then. I wasn't willing to take the risk.

I then proceeded to walk off in a confused state looking around like a lost tourist. Luckily, I figured out that my piece of paper with a number on it was meant to tell me what place I was in line. My excitement increased at the thought of meeting with another grouchy middle aged women. I mean why not, my first experience had gone so well!

I waited a half an hour before I got up to the counter. The lady working there, without looking at me, told me "That will be $63.50." Beautiful. I waited a half an hour to pay for my new license with my new terrible picture. At least I will be constantly reminded of this day whenever I look at my license. One of those simple joys in life.

Lesson to you all: Going to the DMV is never a simple task, but it always gives you a good story to tell.

On my ipod today: "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves. It was 80 degrees out today! In October!

No comments:

Post a Comment