Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Desks

My school has an issue with desks. They don't have whole ones. Apparently the desks they use to fill the classrooms were donated from high schools, so a lot of them are these tiny half desk things that barely hold half a book. It's incredibly annoying. I'm not sure what the logic was when the college bought them. "Oh perfect, half a desk! It's only college, why would we need more than that? They're adults now. No more normal sized desks."

So I sit in the same seat everyday because I'm weird like that. Really, ask people have taken a class with me. If you happen to sit in a seat that I always sit in I'll suddenly get all crazy white girl on you and say something really passive aggressive like "You know I sit there like everyday? No no it's fine, stay there. I just think it's so funny when people randomly take other people's seats. It's fine, really I don't care." I do care. A lot. Stay away from my freakin' seat.

Well anyways, for this particular class I always sit in the second row, two rows from the window. I sit there everyday because this particular seat has one of the elusive normal sized desk that some students can only dream of getting because they always show up too class late. It's great. I can open my notebook and it doesn't fall straight to the ground because the entire notebook is supported by the desk. It's a beautiful thing that I'm sure all of you are actually extremely used to because any normal school has normal desks. They are so commonplace that you don't even have to say "We have normal desks," you just say "We have desks." Must be nice.

The only problem this morning was that this seat had switched. There was a pretend desk in it's place (giving these half-desk things the full title of "desk" would be an insult to the word "desk"). This wouldn't do at all. I couldn't spend the whole period writing on half a desk. It would be like writing on a type writer because you have to keep moving the part of the notebook you need to write on over so that it's the part lying on the desk. I'm not coordinated enough to managed that.

So in the five minutes before class started I decided to switch the pretend desk with an actual desk. While I'm moving things around it's of course making a lot of noise. I'm not sure if it was because it was 8:30 in the morning or because I was so fixated on switching the desks, but I failed to notice that literally everyone was staring at me. Not just mildly amused staring, but ogling like I was stripping my clothes off or suddenly decided to start singing show tunes in front of them.
It was then that I looked over to my professor. He was staring also, with a look of complete confusion on his face. 
"What are you doing?" he asked me. 
"Umm switching the desks."
"Why?"
"Because not even my desks in Elementary School were this small."

Luckily he laughed at this because people who don't get my humor usually just assume I hate the world and I'm mad and bitter all of the time, which is totally not true. I only hate most of the world. My classmates were not as amused at my response and they continued to stare at me for the next few minutes before class started. That quickly I had become "that one girl" in the class. I feel like the more I try to just blend in, the more of a spectacle I make of myself. A normal person would have just left the desk where it was.

On my ipod today: "Dog Days Are Over" by Florence + the Machine. Nothing beats running to the fast parts of this song. You kind of feel unstoppable.

No comments:

Post a Comment