Thursday, October 13, 2011

Suburbia

Suburbia. While it is absolutely nothing like how they make it out to be in the movies generally, there is one thing that Hollywood got right. It's dull as hell. I've lived in the same house my entire life. All my neighbors have been the same neighbors I've had my entire life purely because of the fact that they are really old and are going nowhere (you know you all just thought "until they die." Don't deny it).

I love how in the movies there is always that chipper family who lends you things like a cup of sugar and they invite you neighborhood block parties and things like that. In reality, if your neighbor ever asked you for a cup of sugar you would wonder what their ulterior motives are and automatically assume they are an insane person. Okay, maybe that's just my neighborhood. We refer to the neighbor on our right as "the crazy lady" because the only time we ever see her leave her house is to yell at the people she pays to do her lawn. I guess if all you did was stare out at your lawn all day, you would notice when it was cut too short also.

The lawn seems to be the crowing trophy as to whether or not you are winning the suburbia game. "Have you seen John's lawn lately? He needs to water it more. It's turning brown." People act as if this bothers them, when in reality they are secretly happy their neighbor's lawn is failing because it makes their own lawn look better in comparison. "HA! Take that John! You may have a pool but my lawn makes yours look like a dead pile of sticks! I'm so winning the suburbia game."

For myself, heaven help me if I end up in suburbia again. If I do somehow end up there again (please no...) I think I would find great entertainment in mixing it up a bit. I could make my whole front lawn a giant in-ground pool, paint my house purple, have a slide that comes down from my second floor down to the outside pool. Every Friday night would be disco night and I could have a retractable roof that let giant sky lights into the sky. This seems to be getting costly. I may have to sell a few organs first.

Surbia would actually be cool if everyone was like this: Awesome House

On my ipod today: "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse. The epic-ness of this song simply will blow your mind. I can't listen to it without feeling the need to get up and do something freaking awesome like get in a sword fight with a random person. Then I remember that people would probably not get it and call the police on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment